Sunday, August 4, 2013

Do you use the 6 Month Rule For Clothes?

It's that time of year again.  Summer is turning into Fall, and my closet, (not to mention drawers, chairsand any other available space), is overflowing with purchases that I've made over the past few months.  How does a fashionista/shopaholic keep an overflowing wardrobe organized?  Good question.  Being not only a shopaholic but a hoarder as well has caused me some headaches.  Add to it that I have very limited space (picture a closet sized bedroom with a closet the size of an alcove), and things quickly get out of hand and out of place.  Over the years I've had to be quite creative when it comes to space.  Finding corners, shoving things under the bed etc.  Then I adopted the "six month rule."  I'm sure you've heard of it:  If you haven't worn it in 6 months get rid of it.  Great concept, except that I kept breaking the rule.  So basically I went through my closet a couple of times and got rid of things but the "I can't get rid of this yet" pile grew as did my purchases, which left me no better off than when I started.  So how to solve this?  Not easy but doable.  First, the 6 month rule is not a do or die rule.  What I've done is a variation of the 6 month rule.  I go through my closet and drawers 2 times a year without exception.  For me this is September and March.  I go through everything, and sort into three piles.  Keep, get rid of and maybe.  When I'm done with that I go through the maybe pile again.  I ask myself some questions.  I'm sure you've heard these before but they work.  First Do I love it?  Is the color flattering?  Is it a classic or staple? Does it have sentimental value? Why haven't I worn this? (this question is important, ask yourself was it an impule buy, wrong color or do i like it but I have too many clothes and forgot about it?) And finally, Will I ever wear it again?  If the nos outweigh the yeses it goes.  The things that I decide to keep go to the front of the closet.  If I haven't worn it by the next time I clean buh bye.  Of course this doesn't always work, and being the shopaholic that I am the piles grow as fast as I give stuff away.  But my clothes, shoes, and bags are more organized and I have a little more space.  I think the best thing to do is use the 6 month rule but adopt the variation that works for you and your space.  And please if anyone has any other ideas send them to me.  I am always looking for a way to make more space! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment